is also for
This page will be gradually expanded, the '$$' sign indicates
"It is a widespread myth that websites can only build by
I don't agree with this, like everybody can learn to use Word,
can build a simple but usefull website. Read this!"
| Another interesting, easy-to-use technology is Mambo: free, no coding, lots of templates,
... The only thing you
need is a webserver with Apache, PhP and Mysql. Example sites: www.vub.ac.be, 11.11.11 (see
Introductie (in dutch)
- Wat is het Internet?
- Hoe werkt een website?
- Website onderdelen.
your own webpages with
"A simple webpage consists of visible elements (headings, list, links,
tables, images, background) and invisible elements (targets, title,
description and keywords, used by search engines to index your page).
All this can be created with Mozilla Composer (former Netscape), a very
that comes within the free SeaMonkey. So, don't
think you have to
use a good editor! You also don't need to know the Word code to write a
your website at
VUB (for VUB students & personnel only)
Upload Files Using FTP
A Good Website
- All major webpage elements are in the toolbar, the rest you'll
the Insert or Format menu.
- The invisible elements are under Format => Page
- Add images to your page
- but the image is kept as a seperate file, so don't forget to
to the webserver.
- the file will be copied to the page folder, otherwise check
at original location, for instance, if you want to put all images
a seperate images folder.
the image properties you can put text at the right of your image.
- Note that you wil not see this in Composer, but when you view
with your browser.
- To stop text of wrapping around your image: menu Insert
- For a more complex layout, you can use tables without Border
- To add a link, select the text and click Link.
- Start a link to a different website with http://...
- For another page of your website, just fill in the relative path
- "page2.html" refers to this file in the same folder
- "projects/page3.html" refers to a file in the projects folder
- "../welcome.html refers to a file in the parent folder (one
- You can jump within a page (for instance, from a menu), by
inserting a target at the location you want to jump to and
giving it a
Then you have to save your file first, before you can add a
and choose your target among the list with all targets of your page. A
target is indicated with a # in the link.
- For more advanced layouting, you can use tables with no border
(like on this
- set Border Line Width of the Table Properties
click on table) to 0.
- you can set different background colours (or images) for Rows
or Cells, in the Table Properties window.
- Hint: you can upload
with Publish, fill in the
ftp-address of the webserver, name & password
html tags can be added with Insert => Tags
- A good website presents relevant information in a clear
too much clicking is involved, everything can be found easily (eg with
a menu) to find and the user should always know where he is (eg show
path $$). Create a style for your website, how you show your
special bullets, some specific colours, a background, ...
- Only add links that you have checked first for correct and
and indicate what the user can expect!
- Try to be compatible with at least Netscape 4 &
Explorer 4 (
for html: compatibility is indicated in the html Reference)
"The internet is one chaotic pool of information, only a small part of
it is complete, reliable, structured, etc. Therefore, I will only add
to this website that I approved."
- General: Dan's
webtips, Anouk's webtips
- Links: code, icons, templates, ...
- Make your own images or icons,
convert or make them transparant: zie tips.
- Not very nice, but Plain and Simple (only disadvantage:
therefore install WebWasher to ban
from your browser)
- Website editors: Netscape Composer, 1stPage (approved by a lot of
experts!! Free), Microsoft Frontpage, EasyHTML
(gratis, maar geen WYSIWIG) ...
- Mozilla - Explorer browser differences
- html (remember, by using a good editor, you don't
need to learn
is only for specialists.)
"The philosophy of the website cookbook is that these 'recipes' can be
used by everybody to add advanced things to your website, without
to know anything about its code. Just copy and follow the
=> Open With or Open
Other) in a text editor like Notepad (simplest), UltraEdit
(more advanced) or 1stPage
(the best for experts). Now you see the html-code and you can change it
or add a scirpt. You only need to know that a page consists of a Head
(between tags <HEAD> and </HEAD>)
info about your page and a Body (between tags <BODY>
and </BODY>) containing all what is displayed.
this file at the same location of your webpages.
- give your frames a name
in the frameset definition
- specify the frame as target
with the link definition
open a link in the full window (getting out of a frame): set
the target attribute of the
link to _blank (see
Hint: for aesthetic
reasons, use no border
between your frames: add the property frameborder=0 in the <frameset ... > tag
- In Composer: Under Link Properties, choose Advanced Edit
and add attribute target and
value the name of your frame
add counters that automatically register all visitor of your website!
add the bottom of this page (click on it to view statistics)
(a little icon representing your website, like
How to differentiate
Internet Explorer from other browsers: html-tricks,
sometimes necessary if it doesn't look the same in different browsers.
- free counters with
Webstat counters activate popup windows! We are looking for a more
- Click Service -> Registration
and fill you name, email address (correct!), choose a user name and
and add information on the webpage you want to register. Check Create
another counter if you want more counters.
- Webstats4 will mail you the code that you should add in your
- Open your file with an editor (as
here) and put the code at the end of the file, before the 2 last
- By clicking on My Webstats,
you get all your statistics, and you can add new counters!
- Have Statistix Fun!
without popups, but with less information: statcounter, your-counter
Style sheets (CSS)
- the menu of our website is constructed with joust
- Automatic redirection to another website: change the
this page. (download this page by right clicking on it and choosing
Save Link/Target As..., open it then with Notepad to change it)
), submit to search engines, automatic tree generation from directory