The IFIP WG 10.3 members have had a joint publication this year. Selected papers from an IFIP WG 10.3 workshop that was held in Paris, France last year has appeared as the March 2001 special issue (Volume 11, number 1) of the "Parallel Processing Letters" journal (World Scientific Publishing Co.). The guest editors were IFIP WG 10.3 members Michel Cosnard, Ulrich Finger and Jean-Luc Gaudiot.
We have also been recently associated with a number of conferences:
1. Euro-Par 2000 (http://www.in.tum.de/europar2k/ ) was held in Munich, Germany between August 28 and September 1, 2000, under the chairmanship of Prof. Arndt Bode (an IFIP WG 10.3 member) and Prof. Thomas Ludwig, from the Technical University of Munich. The conference was attended by 382 participants. I personally attended this conference as global chair of the Instruction Level Parallelism and Processor Architecture track, and was impressed by the organization. There were 326 submissions from 42 countries, out of which 5 distinguished papers, 94 regular papers, and 68 research notes were accepted..
Euro-Par 2001 will take place in Manchester, UK between August 28 and 31, 2001 (http://europar.man.ac.uk/).
2. PACT (Parallel Architectures and Compilation Techniques) was organized in 2000 for the 8th year in a row. There were 161 total attendees (130 for the main conference itself). It was sponsored by our Working Group (34%), the IEEE Computer Society (33%), and ACM (33%). PACT 2000 took place in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (http://www.ece.orst.edu/~pact2000). PACT did a major re-design of its Web site in 2000, and increased its reach by merging its mailing list with other major conferences such as HPCA and MICRO. The program chair was Prof. Mary-Lou Soffa (University of Pittsburgh) and the general chair was Prof. Ali Hurson (Penn State University)
This year's PACT will take place between September 8 and 12 in Barcelona, Spain (http://www.ac.upc.es/pact01). The PACT 2001 technical program will be of high quality: 126 papers were submitted out of which 26 were accepted. Prof. Mateo Valero (UPC Barcelona) is the general chair, and Prof. John Shen (Intel) and Prof. Todd Mowry (CMU) are the program chairs. There will be keynote speakers from IBM, Intel and Compaq.
3. SBAC-PAD 2000, the 12th Symposium on Computer Architecture and High Performance Computing was held Sao Pedro, Brazil, between October 24 and 27, 2000 (http://www.dc.ufscar.br/sbac2000/).
SPAC-PAD 2001 will be held in Pirenopolis, Brazil between September 10 and 12, 2001 (http://atiaia.cptec.inpe.br/sbac2001/).
4. DIPES (International IFIP WG 10.3 / WG 10.4/ WG 10.5 Workshop on Distributed and Parallel Embedded Systems) is a jointly sponsored meeting of 10.3 , 10.4 and 10.5. This year's workshop will be held in Paderborn University, Germany, between October 18 and 19, 2000. More information can be found at http://www.uni-paderborn.de/cs/franz/
5. IWCC 2001, International Workshop on Cluster Computing. This workshop will be held in Mangalia, Romania (a resort city on the Black Sea coast), between September 1 and 6, 2001. The organizers include Prof. Bertil Folliot (IFIP WG 10.3 member). More information is available at http://www.infoiasi.ro/~iwcc2001/
Two new members joined our group at the end of last year: Prof. Bertil Folliot (Université Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris) and Prof. Nader Bagherzadeh (University of California at Irvine).
I recently took over as WG 10.3 chair from Prof. Jean-Luc Gaudiot as the result of an election held in June 2001. The future directions we are considering for WG 10.3 include:
Launching new international conferences, Establishing new awards for students worldwide to foster interest in the research field, Continuing publications and editorship activities with WG 10.3 group participation, Organizing (possibly electronic) IFIP WG 10.3 group meetings/workshops, Seeking funding from international industry and government sources to subsidize WG 10.3 projects, and Recruiting new top quality members to the group.
We will send you updates as we make progress.
We continue to have an IFIP WG 10.3 Web page http://infoweb.vub.ac.be/~efdirkx/ifip_10_3.html, which will soon be updated with the new organization.
Please do not hesitate to contact me, if you have any questions or comments about our activities.
IFIP WG10.3, Chair
================== Dr. Kemal Ebcioglu IBM Research Division Thomas J. Watson Research Center P.O. Box 704 Yorktown Heights, NY 10598 email: email@example.com phone: +1 914 784 6501 url: http://www.research.ibm.com/vliw